Vertical Milling Machines
Buying a new machine tool is a big commitment. You're going to want to live with your choice of a mill for many years, so why not start with the best.
Wells-Index builds a quality line of knee-type milling machines. With over 80 years of experience behind us, we can assure you that every mill we build is the best and is a 100% U.S.A. manufactured product.
A Wells-Index milling machine demands your consideration. Read through the list of Wells-Index standard features and optional equipment below, and you'll see why.
- On average, weighs 1,000 lbs more than competitor models
- All castings made in the USA
- Baldor drive motor, made in the USA
- 3hp continuous duty motor is quivilent to competitors 5hp peak hp rating
- Handscraped ways
- Most durable spindle head design in the industry
- Internal head gears and spindles 30%-50% larger than Bridgeport designs
- The preferred choice for Fortune 500 companies and US Military
- Made in the USA, competitors use inferior parts and components imported from Taiwan and China
- Fully customizable according to your requirements
Features of our Vertical Milling Machine:
- Hard chrome ways
- Way covers
- Dual locks on table, saddle & knee
- One shot lubrication system
- 1 1/8" dia. precision ground lead screws
- Table size overall - 10" x 48"
- Spindle motor (continuous duty)
- Dial graduations - 0.001"
- Longitudinal range - 34"
- Cross range - 14"
- Vertical knee range - 16-1/2"
- Spindle rotation - forward and reverse
- Spindle speeds - infinitely variable
- Back gears - 50 to 525 rpm
- Direct Drive - 400 to 4200 rpm
- Tool Trays
- Plus more
Two machines in one! The 860C converts in less than 5 minutes from horizontal to vertical (or vice versa) and simultaneously does vertical and horizontal milling. The heavy-duty horizontal Features all-gear positive drive, with high-inertia Flywheel, 3 h.p. variable speed drive with direct lever control, and #40 MMT taper spindle equipped with draw bar. Also available are many of the standard Features and optional equipment of the Model 847.
Click to View our PDF's with specs and more:
- Variable speed head with exclusive direct lever control for quick. easy speed adjustment.
- Precision vernier scale for quick depth setting.
- Rigid overarm on wide dovetails.
- The spindle is supported by four (4) angular contact bearings for added rigidity and precision.
- Stronger head clamping than usually found.
- 3 3/8" quill with the choice of #30 MMT or R-8 spindle taper.
- Heavier than usual 10" x 48" table with coolant channels and 34" of travel. Available in manual or with optional power speed.
- One-shot lube system.
- Heavy-duty saddle.
- Full hand wheels have large dials which are graduated in increments of .001
- A power quill feed that is available at all spindle speeds and rated for a 5/8" diameter drill. 60% greater than most knee-type mills.
- Large, heavily ribbed knee with wide ways.
- Way covers.
- Massive column and base for maximum machine rigidity.
- Hand-scraped hard chrome ways.
- 30 MMT and other spindle taper options are available.
- Longitudinal, cross, or knee power feeds.
- Flood coolant systems.
- Right-angle milling head.
- Power drawbar.
- Digital read-out systems.
- Riser blocks.
- Column-mounted light.
Many other accessories are available. Please contact the factory or your local distributor for complete details.
- On-site service
- Complete machine rebuilding for Index, Wells-Index and Bridgeport Mills
- Parts for all machines since 1940
- New CNC control retrofitting